Our horse and buggy age was changed with new jobs, industries. So it will be with climate change.
Climate Change scares most of us. We have been told how this new age will take away our jobs and destroy our ability to produce cheap energy. We, as a culture, seem to want to just put our heads in the sand and pretend all will be good as Climate Change washes over us like a summer rain storm.
But this will not be the case. Change will now be part of who and what we are. We will change how and where we live. We will go to college as before. We will party with the same friends at the same in crowd spots. However, how we earn money for work performed will change a great deal.
19th and 20th Century Transformation
Some of the treasures of decor in my office are old photo images of early 20th century Clinton. The first image shows shows the entire north side of the Clinton businesses as of 1908. The profile is of 14 buildings and their environment. Dominant within the photo image of the north side of the city central business district are: (1) horses and budgies, tied to public hitching posts; (2) gravel streets (3) new brick two story buildings and (4) new telegraph poles/wires.
The next image is of the same street, circa 1916, a mere eight years later. On the same north side of the business square: (1) total replacement of horses and budgies with Model T autos (2) gravel streets replaced with paved streets (3) new telephone poles and wires (4) 10 new buildings on the next business section of downtown, located on the east side and northeast side of courthouse.
In a flash of civilizational time, Clinton went from a thriving county seat of the 19th century to a more complex and thriving city of the early 20th century.
Whole sets of job skills and needs disappeared overnight to be replaced with new job skills and work.
This same model of work disruption is now underway with regard to the needs and opportunities of a new 21st Century.
Listed below are jobs and work skills that may be needed for a cultural and civilizational transition into a new world being shaped by Climate Change.
Possible New Jobs in Climate Change World
- Global Climate Change Impact stock exchange broker/investor
- Rapid response teams handling natural disasters supply chain inventory
- Climate Troops/police/corporate security forces
- College professors in teaching skills to handle Climate Change
- Community/corporate Coordinators for moving off old energy grids
- Climate Change Peace Keepers (United Nations and third world)
- Disaster Relief corodination
- Climate Change Legal/lawyer
- College student monitor/teacher
- Corporate Command Center coordinator
- Environmental Climate Reporter
- Change agent for non-profits
- Expert Tax for Climate/weather extremes
- Climate local regional police
- Community administrator for sustainability policies/ordnances
- Movie maker climate media
- Urban farmer
- Store owner for Beyond Meat concept of non meat/healthy meals
- Earth Ship (owner/worker in 7/11 type of convenient store
- Hoover craft operator
- Utility relocation services
- Owner/worker of Earth Friendly clothes shop
- Old Building rehab services
- Drone (anything)
- Climate change insurance agent
- Mechanical engineer sustainability
- Artificial Intelligence sustainability operator
- Hovercraft manufacturing worker
- Watershed keeper
- Representative to Climate Change/sustainability regional organization
- New age Landscape planner/Gardener
- Wind power technician
- Solar power technician
- Water power technician
- Heating-cooling systems engineer
- Electric auto service station owner
- Green Church minister
- Earth/extreme weather survival shop owner/worker
- Big Brother Orwell privacy shop owner/worker
- Hemp farmer
- Hemp shop owner/worker
- Military base resources climate impact relocation specialist
- Green TV star or broadcaster
- Govt. Intergovernmental coordination climate law specialist
- Community Central Business District sustainability specialist
- Wealth climate change broker/consultant/banker
- Rural Development specialist/consultant
- Non-profit climate change coordination
- Restaurant/food operator/owner
- Green Medical doctor/nurse/researcher