Photo by Chalice Keith, The MSU News
Collin Morris, News Editor at Murray State News, did some digging in the wake of this summer's on campus dorm explosion at New Richmond Hall which left one employee badly injured. His research found that MSU and several other universities in Kentucky lack gas detection devices in the buildings that use natural gas.
Why would universities lack equipment that most homeowners purchase at the local hardware store?
"Murray State's infamous explosion sent a shockwave across campus on June 28. In its aftermath, not only do gaping holes lie at the base of James H. Richmond Residential College, but also in the university's emergency prevention measures.
After consulting with seven other Kentucky schools, The News learned Murray State is one of four major universities lacking natural gas detection systems in its residence halls..."
To quote the late Paul Harvey - here's the rest of the story...